Friday, November 5, 2010

A Tribute To Bob Stricker

On Friday, October 29, 2010 my dear friend, mentor and spiritual father, Bob Stricker, passed from this life into the Presence of God. I first met Bob almost forty years ago. I was a young man who had been recently converted in the beginnings of the Jesus People Movement that was happening on the West Coast of the USA at that time. I rather quickly became involved in leadership simply because there were so many young people coming to Christ. I found myself leading a group of Jesus People. I was young, single, definitely in over my head and I knew I needed help. I had become aware of Portland Bible College, which was based at Bible Temple (now City Bible Church) in Portland, Oregon. I was living at that time in Kelso, Washington, about fifty miles north of Portland. I purposed to visit PBC and meet the dean of the college, to see if he might help us train leaders among the Jesus People we were working with. When I went in to talk to Bob (the dean) about this possibility he said he would do what he could to help us. We made a plan for him to start teaching a couple of classes each Tuesday night in Kelso. After the classes, Bob and I would usually go out for coffee or a late night snack. I was always full of questions and he patiently sat there and talked with me. Sometimes he would even come up to join me in some difficult counseling situations I found myself in. I was greatly appreciative of his friendship and help. However, years later it came much clearer to me what a sacrifice this had been for a man leading a Bible College and raising a family of nine children. It was also later in life that I realized that Bob had been fathering me spiritually. I am eternally grateful for the precious time he invested in me as a very needy young man.

It was largely due to my relationship with Bob that I met my bride-to-be, Marlene. She had graduated from PBC and was living in Portland at that time. During our dating relationship Bob and his dear wife, Carolyn, would sometimes go out on double dates with us. We loved them because they enjoyed laughter and refused to take themselves too seriously. Yet, as a couple they seriously effected our lives.

This relationship never ceased over the years. We have had the joy of many hours with Bob and Carolyn. In recent days, while in the States, before returning to Africa, we were able to spend time on several occasions with Bob and Carolyn. Their mentoring role continued in our lives. They were both teaching us how to finish well.

Bob, we will dearly miss you, but we know we will soon see you again in the Presence of the Lord. Carolyn, we love you and our prayers are with you.